Head of Solutions
Cambridge, CB4 0WG, United Kingdom
This is the ideal opportunity to make your mark in a high growth company with leading edge technology that has a positive impact on people’s lives. At Linguamatics, you’ll be helping to create sophisticated semantic search and text mining software products used in the world’s leading life science and healthcare organisations. Our customers are demanding and knowledgeable. Our innovative software based on natural language processing has received numerous accolades, including “Best in Show” at Bio-IT World, and Linguamatics has been named as one of 100 Companies That Matter in Knowledge Management.
We are now looking for an experienced software development manager to take the role of Head of Solutions. The successful candidate will wear many hats: acting as technical lead and sometime scrum master for the development of multiple products in a cross-functional Agile environment; directly managing a growing team of more than 10 developers, including individual coaching and overall team development; and coordinating with other technical and non-technical teams within the company.
Excellent technical and communication skills are required for you to be successful within this role. You will need to demonstrate strong hands-on development skills and a pragmatic approach to technical "best practices" and Agile, as well as the ability to lead and motivate a team of top class developers.
- Product Development:
- Working with Product Owners and other internal/external stakeholders to identify product requirements and priorities and make ongoing corrections
- Collaborating across the company to assemble cross-functional product teams
- Assessing costs, risks and benefits and helping to drive release plans forward, removing cultural and technical obstacles when necessary
- Promoting the pragmatic application of Scrum principles, including automated Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Testing, and Continuous Delivery (CD) to ensure reliable, resilient, and scalable on-time delivery
- Hands-on software development and scrum mastering where required
- Team Management:
- Inspiring and motivating team members to achieve the best they can and fostering a culture of continuous improvement
- Recruiting new developers and implementing staff development projects and programs
- Providing ongoing feedback, coaching and training to support each team member in their career development, working with HR as required
- Fostering effective communications within the Solutions Group for status updates and issue reporting
- Be the spokesperson for the team and champion its accomplishments and requirements with upper management and adjacent teams
- Technical Leadership
- Maintain personal technical expertise to work effectively with team members and the broader Linguamatics community
- Keep up with software industry trends, as well as development activities in other groups within Linguamatics
- Identifying, anticipating and tackling technical issues early
- Evangelising good development principles and practices
You will be a fast learner and will ideally have the following attributes:
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Maths, or other related field
- Demonstrable experience in large-scale technical software development, including managerial experience
- Cross platform (Windows, OS-X, Linux) software development experience
- Experience of server-side development using Node.js; experience with Java and/or NoSQL technologies such as MongoDB would also be beneficial
- Knowledge of Python and web application frameworks, particularly Django, would be beneficial
- Full cycle software engineering skills, e.g. object-oriented design, design patterns, unit testing, build and deployment automation
- Formal training and/or experience in Agile methodologies including Scrum, with a passion for producing quality software
Before applying for this position, please read our privacy notice for job applicants which explains how we process your personal data when you apply for a job and how we comply with our legal obligations to you under GDPR: www.linguamatics.com/privacy-notice. Please note that successful applicants will be required to have a disclosure check.
This is a challenging and exciting position in a growing, customer-focussed UK company with an established presence in the US and Europe, and an opportunity to work with leading-edge technology and great people. As a Linguamatics employee you’ll receive a competitive salary and benefits package and opportunities for professional growth. If you think you have the right skills and experience, and are ready to make an outstanding contribution to our success, please send your CV with a covering letter by email to:
Heather Stewart, Linguamatics (www.linguamatics.com)