Linguamatics (ICO registration Z1975358) takes your privacy very seriously. This Privacy Notice is intended to set out your rights and answer any queries you may have about how Linguamatics collects and uses your personal data. If you need more information, please contact the Data Protection Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a part of any customer or contractor or other third party relationship, Linguamatics is likely to collect and process some personal data for some personnel of that customer or contractor, or the personal data of individuals who choose to contact Linguamatics or are referred to Linguamatics by third parties. Linguamatics is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that personal data and to meeting its data protection obligations; this Privacy Notice is a part of that commitment.
If you have entered into a contract with one of our subsidiaries or group companies, the controller of your data will be the Linguamatics company or companies stated in your contract: either Linguamatics Solutions Limited (a United Kingdom company registered in England & Wales, no. 07293097) and/or Linguamatics Solutions Inc. (a United States, Delaware corporation) or otherwise in accordance with any additional consent you give us. In all other circumstances, the controller of your data will be Linguamatics Limited (a United Kingdom company registered in England & Wales, no. 4248841).
Our personal data handling policy and procedures have been developed in line with the requirements of the 1995 European Union Data Protection Directive (Directive 95/46/EC) and the General Data Protection Regulation (in force from 25 May 2018) and applicable national law in any country where we operate our business.
What information do we collect?
Linguamatics may collect a range of information about you. This may include:
- your name;
- your username and password;
- your home or work address, email address and/or phone number;
- your job title;
- your payment and delivery details, including billing and delivery addresses and credit card details, where you or your employer make purchases from us;
- information related to the browser or device you use to access our website;
- internet browser and operating system;
- recordings of calls you make to our customer service and support teams;
- and/or any other information you provide which identifies you.
Linguamatics may collect this personal data in a variety of ways. For example, data might be (i) contained in documentation or responses which you provide to Linguamatics, whether via the Linguamatics website or otherwise; or (ii) requested by email; or (iii) volunteered by you in discussion with Linguamatics. Linguamatics may also collect personal data about you from third parties, such as credit reference checks.
Data will be stored in a range of different places, including Linguamatics internal or external servers and on other IT systems including email.
Linguamatics and our analytics provider, use technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags, and scripts, to analyze trends, administer the website (tracking users’ movements around the website), and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual and aggregated basis.
Reasons for Processing Personal Data
Linguamatics will process those parts of your personal data as are necessary for the following purposes:
- as required to establish and fulfil a contract with you, for example, if you make a purchase from us or enter into an agreement to provide or receive services. This may include verifying your identity, taking payments, communicating with you, providing customer services and arranging the delivery or other provision of products or services. We require this information in order to enter into a contract with you and are unable to do so without it;
- to comply with applicable law and regulation;
- in accordance with our legitimate interests in protecting Linguamatics’ business interests and legal rights, including but not limited to, use in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory and investigative purposes (including disclosure of such information in connection with legal process or litigation);
- with your express consent to respond to any comments or complaints we may receive from you, and/or in accordance with our legitimate interests including to investigate any complaints received from you or from others, about our website or our products or services;
- we may use information you provide to personalise (i) our communications to you; (ii) our website; and (iii) products or services for you, in accordance with our legitimate interests;
- to monitor use of our websites and online services. We may use your information to help us check, improve and protect our products, content, services and websites, both online and offline, in accordance with our legitimate interests;
- if you provide a credit or debit card, we may also use third parties (such as POS payment providers) to check the validity of the sort code, account number and card number you submit in order to prevent fraud, in accordance with our legitimate interests and those of third parties;
- we may monitor any customer account to prevent, investigate and/or report fraud, terrorism, misrepresentation, security incidents or crime, in accordance with applicable law and our legitimate interests; and
- in circumstances where you contact us by telephone, calls may be recorded for quality, training and security purposes, in accordance with our legitimate interests.
We may also send you direct marketing in relation to relevant products and services, including inviting you to take part in market research or surveys. Electronic direct marketing will only be sent where you have given your express consent to receive it, or (where this is allowed) you have been given an opportunity to opt-out. You will continue to be able to opt-out of electronic direct marketing at any time by following the instructions in the relevant communication.
With whom and where may Linguamatics share your personal data?
We may share your personal data with our subsidiaries to process it for the purposes of inter-group administration and to deliver products or services where elements of these are provided by group companies other than those with which you have directly contracted.
We may also share your personal data with any of the following third parties:
- our professional advisors such as our auditors and external legal and financial advisors;
- marketing and communications agencies where they have agreed to process your personal data in line with this Privacy Notice;
- market research companies;
- our suppliers, business partners and sub-contractors; and/or
- search engine and web analytics.
Personal data may be shared with government authorities and/or law enforcement officials if required for the purposes above, if mandated by law or if needed for the legal protection of our legitimate interests in compliance with applicable laws. Personal data may also be shared with third party service providers who will process it on behalf of Linguamatics for the purposes above. Such third parties include, but are not limited to, providers of website hosting, maintenance, call centre operation and identity checking.
In the event that our business or any part of it is sold or integrated with another business, your personal data will be disclosed to our advisers and those of any prospective purchaser and will be passed to the new owners of the business.
Except where prohibited by contract, your data may be transferred between the European Economic Area (EEA) and the USA. This may happen as part of the normal running of our business, including our regular back up program which forms part of our disaster recovery plan. Data is transferred between the EEA and the USA under the EU/US Data Privacy Shield regulations, as may be amended from time to time.
Links to Other Websites
From time to time, our website may contain links to and from websites of our partners, suppliers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites may have their own privacy policies or notices and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any such policies or notices or indeed the contents of these other websites. Please check these policies or notices, where available, before you submit any personal data to these websites.
How does Linguamatics protect personal data?
Linguamatics takes the security of your data seriously. It has internal policies and controls in place to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except by our employees in the proper performance of their duties. We maintain conformity to the ISO27001 standard for information security management and our policies and procedures adhere to this standard.
For how long does Linguamatics keep personal data?
We will not keep your personal data for any purpose for longer than is necessary and will only retain the personal data that is necessary in relation to the purpose. We are also required to retain certain information as required by law or for as long as is reasonably necessary to meet regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, prevent fraud and abuse, or enforce our terms and conditions.
Where you are a customer, we will keep your personal data for the length of any contractual relationship you have with us and after that for a period of  months.
Where you are a prospective customer and you have expressly consented to us contacting you, we will only retain your personal data until you unsubscribe from our communications; or, if you have not unsubscribed, (a) while you interact with us and our content; or (b) for 60 months from when you last interacted with us or our content.
In all other cases, we will retain your personal data for as long as is necessary to resolve your query and for twelve months after the query is closed.
We will retain your personal data for a short time beyond the specified retention period, to allow for information to be reviewed and any deletion to take place. In some instances, applicable laws may require Linguamatics to hold certain information for specific periods other than those listed above.
As a data subject, you have a number of rights (often referred to as “subject access rights” or “SAR”). You can, for example:
- access and obtain a copy of your data on request
- require Linguamatics to change incorrect or incomplete data
- require Linguamatics to delete or stop or restrict the processing of your data, for example where the data is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing
- object to the processing of your data, where Linguamatics is relying on its legitimate interests as the legal ground for processing.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact Linguamatics at SAR@linguamatics.com.
If you believe that Linguamatics has not complied with your data protection rights, you should contact us in the first instance. If you are still dissatisfied following our response you can complain to the Information Commissioner in the UK, or an equivalent regulator in any other jurisdiction.
You are under no statutory or contractual obligation to provide personal data to Linguamatics while you are in contact with us. However, if you do not provide the personal data which is requested, Linguamatics may not be able to respond as you would expect.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
Linguamatics may change this Privacy Notice from time to time in the future. Any such changes will be posted here and, where appropriate, notified to you in writing. We advise you to check back frequently to see any updates or changes.
This Privacy Notice was last updated in May 2018.