Natural Language Processing: Big Data Mining for Health and Life Sciences
On February 13-14, Linguamatics held a seminar in Duarte,CA. We explored how NLP technology is improving patient outcomes and unlocking key insights from unstructured text. Below is the agenda from the event:
Pharmaceutical and Healthcare industry leaders shared their real-life use cases during this complimentary two-day event at City of Hope Cancer Center in Duarte, CA.
We also held two training workshops on Monday, February 13: Training Session 1 is for users who have limited or no experience with I2E or other text mining software; Training Session 2 is for experienced I2E users.
We saw real-life text mining examples in action on Tuesday, February 14 through presentations from text mining specialists and real-life case studies. Speakers included Sorena Nadaf (City of Hope), Samir Courdy (Huntsman Cancer Institute) and Chengyi Zheng (Kaiser Permanente).
MONDAY February 13, 2017 Training Session 1: Introduction to I2E: Healthcare Focus with Jeff Nauss (12:30PM – 2:30PM)
An introductory presentation on querying medical records with I2E experts available to address your own questions throughout the session.
MONDAY February 13, 2017 Training Session 2: Advanced Querying with Himanshu Agrawal (3:00PM– 5:00PM)
Using advanced I2E features to mine patient records for clinical attributes.
TUESDAY February 14, 2017 Seminar: Natural Language Processing: Big Data Mining for Health and Life Sciences (9:00AM – 5:00PM)
See real-life text mining examples in action.
Pathology, Gene Variants and I2E driven NLP - Ajay Shah, City of Hope
NLP Efforts and it’s impact on Translational Research & Precision Medicine - Sorena Nadaf, City of Hope
Navigating the Quagmire of Textual Information in Clinical Research - Samir Courdy, Huntsman Cancer Institute
Using NLP to Tap into Unstructured Data in the EMR - Chengyi Zheng, Kaiser Permanente
Clinical Risk Monitoring and Clinical Research with NLP - Simon Beaulah, Linguamatics
Linguamatics NLP Text mining - Bench to Bedside - Susan M LeBeau, Linguamatics
From Documents to Knowledge - Jeff Nauss, Linguamatics
All sessions were held at:
Reasons to Attend
- Gain first-hand knowledge and experience on how structured and unstructured content can be mined to uncover valuable information
- Gain hands-on experience of NLP text mining through workshops and training
- Understand the challenges other pharmaceutical and healthcare professionals are facing and explore solutions to these challenges
- Gain a better understanding of NLP text mining and where it can fit into your organization
- Network and exchange ideas with peers and text mining experts
- Sorena Nadaf, Chief Informatics Officer, City of Hope Cancer Center
- Samir Courdy, Chief Research Information Officer, Huntsman Cancer Institute
- Chengyi Zheng, Natural Language Processing Specialist, Kaiser Permanente
- Susan LeBeau, Linguamatics
- Simon Beaulah, Linguamatics
- Jeff Nauss, Linguamatics
An Introduction to NLP Text Mining (Jeff Nauss, Linguamatics)
Text mining is used in a variety of ways to identify and extract information from documents. Using Natural Language Processing (NLP) with text mining, data may be extracted to reveal facts and relationships that provide directly relevant information to address specific questions. This presentation will explore various examples to demonstrate increasing value from text mining as different NLP techniques are applied. The talk will provide insight into ways data from a variety of sources can be text mined for either life science or healthcare applications.